Sunday, February 17, 2008

The Price For Taking Drugs Is Too High To Pay

By: Bryan Hon Keng Pui (6 Honesty)
EPPS 17Feb08

I regret everything. How drugs ruined my entire life and how I was tricked to such things because of bad company. It all started with my friend, a hypocrite, a wretched one, who introduced me to drugs.

I still remember everything vividly as if it happened a month ago. I was chilling out at my friend’s party with some of my classmates and were in high spirits. After a while, my friend took out from his pocket a cigarette and a lighter. He lit the cigarette and then, offered us to take a puff. As my easily influenced classmates were curious about how smokers felt, each of them took a puff. But, as for me, I stood my ground with the facts that I had known for years but my classmate’s comments were taking me closer to a world that I had also thought about. At last, I could not stand their jeers and so, I picked up the lit cigarette and took a puff. Suddenly, a surge of sensation rushed through my veins and to my mind. I began to feel very ‘high’, as if I was floating. I felt like an angel in heaven. We continued playing our games and started having our own cigarettes to puff.

When we were on our way home, the pleasant feeling of smoking had died down. One of our classmates suggested buying a pack of cigarettes and share them among ourselves. As soon we had bought the pack of cigarettes and a lighter, we ran to a nearby alley and started smoking.

But something was wrong with the cigarettes.Something.The sensation did not match my friends cigarettes. It felt dull. I ran towards my friend’s house with mixed feelings, leaving my friends behind. By the time I reached his house, he was already standing there as if he knew that I was coming.

“So, are you addicted?” my friend said whilst putting a suspicious smile on his face.

“Er, addicted to what?” I replied. I though conversation was getting nowhere.

“Addicted to drugs,” he said. Everything started to make sense. My wretched friend had added drugs in the cigarettes and then told us to take a puff. I stood rooted to the ground in shock. I had been betrayed by a friend that I had trusted for years. He had ruined my life. Which I had planned carefully. I flew into a rage but as soon as he fished out a pack of cigarettes from his pocket, my mind started to tempt on it .Then, the placed his hand out, palm faced up, and asked for fifty dollars. My temptations pulled a fifty dollar bill out of my pocket, then punched the bill into his hand. He in return, gave me what I had desired.

This became my routine in order to match my desire. If I did not have what I needed, I would usually start to get very tired and dull. It was pretty unbearable. Everything went normal until one fateful day. I was at my usual alley where I used to smoke when suddenly, two narcotics officers appeared in front of my eyes. I started to run as fast as my feet could take me but the two narcotics officers had already gave chase and were hot on my heels. But still, I was no match to such trained officers and was caught in no time.” We have analysed the cigarette butts that you have smoked and it contains Heroin,”said one of the narcotics officers

I was thrown into the car and was sent to a drug rehabilitation centre to undergo a cold turkey treatment. After being locked up without cigarettes, I started feeling very weird. I started having mood swings, aches, stomach cramps and worst of all, I had lost appetite, which made me as thin as a pencil. I began to tremble vigorously and halucinating. The whole treatment was unbearable. I would rather live in hell than to suffer such fate of mind-torture. After months and months of such torture, I had finally kicked the habit of drugs but the painful memories of my drug addiction days made my heart sank.

I was finally released from the drug rehabilitation centre. I promised myself to turn a new leaf. Seeing my parents sobbed was the worst thing a child would ever wanted. Seeing their children taking drugs, for a parent, would be the same. Though I lead my family now as a successful salesman, I have devoted my life to stopping youngsters take drugs by participating in some programmes. But there is something I need to tell all drug users – the price for taking drugs is too high to pay.

1 comment:

Daddy Hon said...

It gave a good overall skeletons for the case of taking drugs that perhaps the jounery of such silly feelings could further be extended in detail descriptions in order to allow readers to know how to avoid them.

Bryan's Blog

Please don't forget to drop your comments.