Saturday, April 19, 2008

The Pursuit of Happiness

The Pursuit of Happiness
By Bryan Hon 19Apr08

Huge beads of perspiration trickled down my face as I walked down the pavement, leading to my school. The crimson red streaks of light that pierced through the sky gloomed above me as I took my usual route to my schoool which was a stone’s throw away from home. I dragged my feet along the pavement with heavy eye-lids. I could not stomach the pressure of being forced to wake up so early in the morning anymore! I would rather be an adult for the rest of my life! But, I was wrong.

It felt as if it took eternity just to complete half the destination. But this was where I learnt a valuable lesson. While I was nearing my neighbourhood clinic, an old lady with baggy eyes was crying uncontrollably. Tears flowed down her blushy cheeks as if they were rapids. She sat on one of the benches, facing the floor. Without hesitation, I rushed towards her, hoping that I might come in handy.

“Whats wrong?” I asked, in my most comforting voice. But she just seemed to keep quiet.

“It’s better to talk than to keep your sorrow, you know.”

“I….I….I….will be blind in 40 days if I don’t get a doctor.” The old lady finally started talking.

“I don’t have enough money to seek a doctor’s treatment”. She sobbed.

“Why don’t you ask you children to support you with the money?”

“My son and daughter left me about a month ago for breaking their valuable as I had contracted an eye disease, now I have no one to help me. I’m better off dead.”

With that, her tears started to flow down more furiously, as if there was no way to stop such catastrophe. I started to comfort her by patting her back and giving her advice, Ultimately, I suggested and helped her to called the social welfare. The social workers were very helpful in which they sent her to an old folk home where it would benefit her every need.

After being sent to the old folk home, I started visiting her on my free time. Day by day, she started to mix with the other old folks there, which made her happier every hour, every minute. Everytime I saw her, there was something deep down inside of me saying, “ you have taught her the meaning of life, and it is to be happy….”

Now, although she is blind, with friends, her live leads as normal. My theory was wrong. Being older does not mean that you will be happier. Now, I cherish every single second of my life because I know that it is precious. Precious in a way of how it affects out lives. But, ultimately, no matter who you are, what you are, how old you are or even if you are a disabled person, happiness is what takes people beyond life. Hence, we must pursuit happiness.

1 comment:

Daddy Hon said...

The story was written in high standard English closer to professional writer such as Rowling written on her Harry Portter stroies. The story having a very detailed description on the start up and could be extended further with much more precise and interesting write up from the point line up with the social worker to the age home. I would interest to know why the old women finally got blind. On the other hand, I do feel that you have a very mature sense and vision on the human life. I do believe that you desired a Grade A for this writing even though your teacher may bias not to given you that grade.

Bryan's Blog

Please don't forget to drop your comments.